We've Moved!

• As of Monday, April 23, 2012 this system has become read-only!
  • As activity picks up on our new support and forums this site will be closed down.
  • If you have any outstanding support issues in this system we will still answer them here until they are resolved!

Need Support?

New Forums!

• If you have any great suggestions or topics you want to discuss please do so at forums.nirvanahq.com

Grey screen at start-up

mattk1971

28 Mar, 2011 05:40 AM

Guys,

Since the move to 171 I've been getting a completely blank grey screen at start-up. Clearing the local data using your link solves the issue.

I've tried it on multiple OS's (Win7, OS x and Linux) and will various browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE) and get the same issue on all of them.

Not an issue as I can carry on working but I thought you'd like to know!

Matt

1. 2 Posted by Robin on 28 Mar, 2011 09:06 AM

Same here. Where is this link you speak of?

2. 3 Posted by John Iskra on 28 Mar, 2011 12:14 PM

Here's the link: https://app.nirvanahq.com/reset

Will you let me know if this eliminates the problem completely? For me, clearing the cache allows me to log in, but after I log out and then log back in I get the grey screen again. My fear is that this means that I can no longer work off-line (or I can, but everything I do will be lost :( ).

3. 4 Posted by dafyren on 28 Mar, 2011 12:49 PM

I also get the grey screen every time :(

4. 5 Posted by Mick on 28 Mar, 2011 01:24 PM

Me too!
    Windows 7 platform, Chrome shows a grey screen, while Mozilla freezes.
    Tried on a different computer, same thing.
    I have tried on on Safari/MacOSX and works, though.

5. Support Staff 6 Posted by Elbert McLaughlin on 28 Mar, 2011 02:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Will have to investigate as to why N2 works fine on both Firefox and Chrome on a mac, but the same browsers fail on windows. Hrrrmphf.

6. 7 Posted by randamac on 28 Mar, 2011 02:45 PM

I'm on Win7 running Safari and have had no issues this morning. Just tried Firefox 4 and it was fine too (although I had problems before with earlier versions of Firefox). I don't have Chrome so cannot provide any feedback there.

7. 8 Posted by Mark S on 28 Mar, 2011 02:57 PM

Same problem for me, in fact even after clearing the cache using the reset link and then logging in everything works fine but if I even refresh the page then I get a blank grey screen.
    This is with Windows 7 with Chrome.
    And I also have the exact same problem with Safari on my iPhone 3GS (OS 4.3).
    Even after everything is working fine just a simple page refresh and I'm back to the grey screen.

I'm really liking the latest build so I hope this can be fixed soon.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. 9 Posted by Mark S on 28 Mar, 2011 11:35 PM

Just to update this issue, this bug actually Nirvana practically unusable on my IPhone.
    When I go back to the Nirvana app page after some time away from my phone Safari does a refresh and I'm back to just a grey screen again.
    I can do a reset using the reset page posted previously to get working but again if I spend some time away from my phone or doing somethin else on the phone as soon as I go back to Safari the page refreshes and I'm back to the grey screen.
    Anybody else see this with Nirvana on the iPhone?

As I said before though, same problem with Chrome on Windows 7.

9. 10 Posted by John Iskra on 29 Mar, 2011 12:05 AM

Elbert,

Two things:

1. I posted this on the thread about this bug which I started, but just in the interest of completeness, I'm observing this bug on both FF4 and Chrome. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (not 10.10 as I think I said earlier, sorry..) GNOME. on a Dell Vostro.

2. LIke others on this thread, if I refresh or log out, the next time I visit the app I get the grey screen. Emptying the cache enables me to login again.

3. I understood when I signed up for 2 beta that this sort of thing would probably happen as you all work to create a better product. I'm only chiming in here so that you all know about the problem.
      Thank you :)

10. 11 Posted by John Iskra on 29 Mar, 2011 12:07 AM

Speaking of bugs. my brain is apparently troubled by them too: Three things not two... ugh.

11. Support Staff 12 Posted by David McLaughlin on 29 Mar, 2011 06:37 PM

First, letting you know Elbert's working on a fix for the gray screen issue that's affecting some folks - and some more than others.

@Mark S - try this for your Chrome issue

• visit: https://app.nirvanahq.com and https://account.nirvanahq.com and make sure that if you are logged-in to either, that you log out of both

• click the little wrench to bring up the option settings, select "under the hood" on the left

• click "Clear browsing data...", ONLY select "Empty the cache" and chose "Obliterate... from: the beginning of time " and click the "Clear browsing data" button

• click the "Content settings" button in the privacy section then in the "cookies" section click "All cookies and site data"

• look for the app.nirvanahq.com folder (and account.nirvanahq.com if it exists) and delete all the info under that folder and sub-folders; that will likely include local storage, cookies and application caches entries

• close the browser window (not just the tab), re-open the browser - then try going back to the app and log in, give it a few seconds to synch -- and let me know what happens

For some reason, for a number of people that's only a temp fix -- for me it was a permanent fix.
    Elbert's reset function doesn't do all of the above, but it does correct the issue for a number of people
    We'll let you know when a 'code fix' is ready.

Hope that helps,
    David

12. 13 Posted by mattk1971 on 30 Mar, 2011 05:13 AM

Gents,

Thanks for all the responses to this, looks like I'm not the only one!

David,

I just tried the process you describe (only in Chrome on Win 7 so far) and I still have the grey screen issue next time I start the browser.

So far I've seen it in Chrome on Windows and Linux plus my iPhone. I'll check OS x in a bit.

Thanks again.

Matt

13. 14 Posted by mattk1971 on 30 Mar, 2011 06:06 AM

David,

Doing the same in Chrome on OS x as well.

Matt

14. Support Staff 15 Posted by Elbert McLaughlin on 30 Mar, 2011 01:17 PM

We just rolled out a new build that we hope will address this issue. Go ahead and refresh a few times until you see build 175. Let us know if this does the trick.

15. 16 Posted by John Iskra on 30 Mar, 2011 01:52 PM

Yay! Just refreshed and the grey screen turned into nirvana 2 with all the things I still have to do! Yay! (I think.... time to get busy) Thank you!

16. 17 Posted by simonotter on 30 Mar, 2011 07:09 PM

I'm afraid build 175 didn't solve this for me. The work around /reset link still works though. I'm running Chrome10 and Safari5 on OSX10.6.6.

17. 18 Posted by simonotter on 06 Apr, 2011 06:14 PM

Just to confirm that this issue is no longer occurring to me (only fixed itself in the last few days).

18. Support Staff 19 Posted by David McLaughlin on 06 Apr, 2011 06:51 PM

@simonotter -- Spooky. I'm thinking that maybe your appcache was corrupted or not completely refreshed -- but that's a real SWAG.

There have been some reports of similar things with Chrome, but whether they were accurate or just symptomatic similarities, who knows.

Anyway, glad it's cleared up.
    David

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

26 Aug, 2014 02:02 PM
14 Aug, 2014 03:14 AM
01 Aug, 2014 09:51 AM